I spent a couple of minutes this evening looking for inspiration on what to write about. Now anyone who knows me even slightly will know that one of my greatest loves is lists. I’m not a particularly organised person but writing a long list makes me feel like I have my shit together. My good friend Google led me to read the title “30 by 30” and I thought hey, I’m not against jumping on bandwagons.
So here it is, my list of 30 things I want to do by the time I turn 30. I’ve got a good 7 years to achieve them fortunately.
- Get engaged. Okay this is kind of an inevitable one seeing as I know I’ll be engaged at some point in the next couple of years. It’s also one that I would never have included in this list until this year.
- Get married. Same as above really. I agreed on marriage before babies and I want babies before I turn 30 so..
- Have a baby. Self explanatory. Also one I’m completely okay with leaving until I’m nearly 30.
- Go back to Disney World. If you’ve been following this blog for a while, you’ll know that I was supposed to go to Disney World this time last year for 2 and a half weeks with my ex and his family. Visa troubles meant we weren’t able to and ever since I’ve felt it’s something I have to do, just to get it out my system. I want to go before I have to lug screaming children around everywhere.
- Learn to drive and buy my own car. The learning to drive part is already under way, but I’m particularly bad with money so buying my own car will definitely take a couple more years of practising budgeting! My incredibly generous boyfriend is loaning me his second car on a permanent basis once I pass my test but I know buying my own will feel great. Until I check my bank balance anyway.
- Host Christmas. Christmas is my absolute favourite time of the year, and despite me being a terrible cook, I’d love to host it soon. Tom and I have said we’ll try for next year depending if we’re settled into a house.
- Buy a house. Another thing that I never would’ve dreamt possible until the middle of this year.
- Get a dog/cat. Probably after the house buying.
- Finish my leg tattoos. I’ve had a mental plan to cover my legs in tattoos for a while. I think 7 years is sufficient enough time, even if I don’t fully finish them!
- Still run a blog. I want this blog to become my online diary in a way. I love looking back at things I’ve written about and as a nosy person, I know people love to read about other people’s lives.
- Give vlogging another go. I used to “vlog” when I was 17/18 and they stayed on YouTube until my account got hacked a couple of years back. I’m kind of glad about it because they were SO cringe worthy (hence why vlog is in quotation marks). I have a terrible onscreen personality and I hate my recorded voice but I do find it can be easier to get messages across when you can look your readers/viewers in the eye (kind of) and there’s more interaction from followers.
- Get drunk in New York and pretend I’m on Sex and the City. My Mum promised she would take me to New York someday. I’m holding her to it. I want $30 cocktails in Manhattan goddamnit!!
- See a chiropractor before my back gives in. I’ve had back problems ever since I got thrown off a horse when I was 15 and I’ve never seen a doctor about it. Yes I know, I’m stupid! The past couple of years it’s been playing up a lot so hopefully a few visits and some satisfying cracks will help.
- Fly first class/business class. I’ve always been curious.
- See the Northern Lights in Iceland. I can’t spell Aurora Borealis (that’s my best attempt!).
- Visit Australia. I have friends in Australia whom I’d love to hang out with in person.
- Visit Canada. Tom has family in Canada and it’s always been somewhere I’ve been interested in going.
- Change career. I’m currently a retail manager and as much as I love retail, animals and writing are my two biggest passions. They’re incredibly hard to get into but I’d love to try.
- Do something New Years. The problem with working in retail is holidays. Bank holidays don’t exist and if you’re lucky you get either Christmas or New Years off. I always opt for Christmas so I haven’t been able to celebrate New Years for the past couple. Not a hard task to achieve but still worth including.
- Change my first name. I’m coming clean. My name isn’t Lora. It’s Laura. Shock! Deception!! Basically I got bored of Laura in 2008 and only use Laura on official documents and at work. I don’t look at the name Laura and recognise it as mine anymore. My Mum refuses to use Lora so I said I’d wait a good few years before changing it. I’ve used it for 8 already!
- Plan a kick ass 30th birthday! Tom’s birthday is a couple of weeks before mine and he was born 10 years previous, so we’ll celebrate our 40th and 30th birthdays in the same month! Definitely an excuse to do something big.
- Be happier. Pretty vague but honest. I’m the happiest I’ve been in a long time but I still struggle when I’m left in my own company for longer than a couple of hours. It’s something I’ll have to cope with if I want babies, especially as I only want to work part time until they’re at school.
- Start writing a book. This is on my all time bucket list too. I used to write books all the time as a kid, usually my own version of Harry Potter! I’m mulling over a few ideas and the reason I started blogging again was to get those creative juices flowing (ew).
- Bring back and update Turtles and Starfish. Most of you won’t know this but I used to have a shop on Etsy called Turtles and Starfish where I made little bead bracelets with words on them such as “feminist”, “baby girl” and “khaleesi”. I only made like 5 sales at £2.50 a pop but it was great fun all the same! I had big plans for the store but getting a full time job kind of ruined that.
- Learn to cook. Pretty important and yet something at the age of 23, I still can’t do. I can make okay quesadillas and I know how to do a perfect jacket potato but I ought to venture into more exciting territory.
- Make albums with all my Facebook photos in. I’m constantly worrying that Faceyb won’t be around forever. If and when it does disappear, I don’t want my precious memories to go with it. I made a start on this a couple of years ago but I take thousands of photos every year so it’s no small feat.
- Learn a skill. Hairdressing, DIY, IT. Anything that will come in handy at home!
- Parachute out of an airplane. A pretty stereotypical one to include but it’s something I’d love to do.
- Visit Steve Irwin’s grave. His death hit me unusually hard. I was distraught for weeks, to the point where I used to talk to spiders because I thought they could pass on my words to his wife and kids (I didn’t have many friends as a kid). I used to whisper to them that if I could get past my grief, I’d dedicate my life to helping animals. Obviously I got over it eventually and have been trying to help animals ever since and I feel a little trip to pay my respects is something past-me would be proud of.
- Be alive. As someone who is in a constant battle with their brain, staying alive seems impossible at times. I’m my own worst enemy, I push people away (emotionally and physically), I isolate myself from friends and family and I’ve had suicidal thoughts since I was 16. I’m beginning to accept that this might just be me forever and that life will be an uphill struggle and that I might never fully stop having bad days, but I’m not willing to give up without a bloody good fight. I’m sticking around to see my grandbabies!!
And that’s 30! Hope you enjoyed this insanely long post. Have a great weekend.